A new Environmental Sustainability Strategy Committee (ESSC) was established from 1 October 2015 to deliver the University’s Environmental Sustainability Vision Policy and Strategy, replacing the Environmental Strategy Committee, the Energy and Carbon Reduction Project Board and the Living Lab Advisory Group.
The organisational arrangements are as follows:
- The Committee is chaired by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for Environmental Sustainability matters.
- The Committee is a joint committee of the Council and General Board with indirect reporting lines to Planning and Resources Committee and the Estates Strategy Committee.
- The Secretary of the Committee is the Director of Estate Strategy and the Assistant Secretary is the Head of Environment and Energy.
- The Committee meets at least six times per year.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference are to:
- provide strategic oversight of the University’s commitment to environmental sustainability embodied in its Environmental Sustainability Policy and Strategy
- recommend for approval strategies, policies, procedures, guidance notes and action plans in connection with environmental sustainability
- make recommendations to the Planning and Resources Committee in relation to resource requirements for the implementation of the policy
- monitor progress against the implementation of policy and produce an annual environmental sustainability report that will be made publicly available
- take forward strategic decisions relating to agreed policies within the area of environmental sustainability
- require that Schools/Institutions produce and implement environmental sustainability management plans that identify actions to improve performance and allocate appropriate resources
- review and comment on these plans, with authority to refer a matter to the appropriate School/Institution with a recommendation for action
- oversee the delivery of supporting policies and plans including, but not limited to, the Carbon Management Plan, Travel Plan and Sustainable Procurement Policy
- direct the implementation of the Energy and Carbon Reduction Project and authorise the use of ECRP funding
- act as ambassadors for Environmental Sustainability matters at the University.
The ESSC consists of the following members:
- Pro Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for Environmental Sustainability matters (Chair)
- Three members nominated by the University Council, of whom one shall be a member of the Council
- Three members appointed by the General Board, after consultation with the Heads of School
- Two student members appointed by the Committee, one on the nomination of the CUSU Executive and one on the nomination of the Graduate Union Executive Committee
- The Chair of the Bursar’s Environment and Planning Sub-Committee or his or her deputy appointed from amongst the Bursars serving on the Sub-Committee
- Two further members co-opted by the Committee for their expertise.
Officers in attendance
- Director of Estate Strategy
- Director of Finance
- Director of Information Services
- Head of Environment and Energy